Dear World,
My thoughts today are quite simple: I only have one voice. Why let it go to waste?
In so many ways, and for far too long, I have not used my voice. Sure. If you know me, you know I love talking on the phone, through chat, in different languages - you name it. But, I have not used my voice to give life to my thoughts and opinions on things freely and unapologetically. Instead, I surveyed my context and let that determine what parts of myself to reveal. Is my opinion similar, different, irrelevant to the conversation? In overthinking what the reaction to my thoughts would be, I chose silence more often than I'd like to admit. And then later, I mentally reprimand myself with all the possible things I could have said, would have said, should have said rather than remain quiet. In the end, who benefits? My life has told me several times that it is not me. If I don't speak up for me, then my voice will go unheard. I can't let that happen. Who I am, my beliefs, my values, my likes, my dislikes are all just as valid as anyone else's. It's not that I didn't know any of this before. I just wasn't acting like I knew it. Hopfeully, that ends here. So, here's to my voice - using it,loving it and making sure you can hear it.
Authentically yours,
Fatimah Finney :)
My thoughts today are quite simple: I only have one voice. Why let it go to waste?
In so many ways, and for far too long, I have not used my voice. Sure. If you know me, you know I love talking on the phone, through chat, in different languages - you name it. But, I have not used my voice to give life to my thoughts and opinions on things freely and unapologetically. Instead, I surveyed my context and let that determine what parts of myself to reveal. Is my opinion similar, different, irrelevant to the conversation? In overthinking what the reaction to my thoughts would be, I chose silence more often than I'd like to admit. And then later, I mentally reprimand myself with all the possible things I could have said, would have said, should have said rather than remain quiet. In the end, who benefits? My life has told me several times that it is not me. If I don't speak up for me, then my voice will go unheard. I can't let that happen. Who I am, my beliefs, my values, my likes, my dislikes are all just as valid as anyone else's. It's not that I didn't know any of this before. I just wasn't acting like I knew it. Hopfeully, that ends here. So, here's to my voice - using it,loving it and making sure you can hear it.
Authentically yours,
Fatimah Finney :)
| Newport, RI [original photo] |
I love it!! So true sometimes we have to be reminded to speak our own truth and not blend. Love you!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! And you're existence has been a constant reminder for me. I'm just trying to get like you, sis!
DeleteLove Loooveee LOVE this post, Teemie-bear!! We both struggle with giving ourselves a voice. Let's vow to not silence what we've been blessed with. Btw, you look gawjus in this pic!!!
ReplyDeleteAww, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Yes, we have supported each other in so much alread. We can't stop now! :)
Delete