A little over two years ago, I was in London preparing for an upcoming performance. I wanted to mark my study abroad experience with something personally memorable and slightly epic. I decided that performing at an open mic would fit the bill. (How many people do you know that can say “Yup, I performed in London” ?!) I wrote a hand full of poems then, one of which I performed there and in other places since. Somewhere along the way though, I completely forgot about the other poems until I rummaged through old documents on my computer two weeks ago. It was like finding money in an old pair of jeans, only so much better. Reading them again was like meeting a part of myself that I forgot ever existed. What stood out most about them was the limit I imposed to write them. Each line in these poems could only contain five syllables (or less). Limitations are often thought of negatively, but in this case they brought out something beautiful. When I had only so many syllables to work with, I had no choice but to be real. The honesty was inspiring.
Rediscovering these poems resulted in a creative energy boost. Immediately, I wanted to see what else I could do when I limited myself. A poem with lines of eight syllables? A six word mantra to describe my current self? A blog post in 300 words or less? I decided to run with the last one, and here I am with my first blog post. (Finally!) My journey forward with this blog can be best described as snapshots of my life, and all the wonderful things that make it interesting, in 300 words or less. Or so I hope.
And, of course, a poem or two.
Stay tuned :)
Comments
Post a Comment