Skip to main content

Homesick



HOMESICK
by Fatimah Finney

Pictures of Spring Break
visits to cities
like Barcelona
London and Paris
fail to give comfort
like my mom would give
on days like today
where the piercing winds
and absent sunshine
have little to do
with the sudden chill
that has settled on
my heart.



Happy Mother's Day!
Weequahic Park, 2010 [original photo]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Kitchen...

...is unfortunately a place I have yet to say I can throw down in :\ I'm working on it though! For the past 14 months, I have consistently had to grocery shop and cook for myself. I've managed pretty well, but I'm at my limit when it comes to penne pasta with meatballs or lentils and rice. So, I've recently decided to switch my style up. After weeks of smelling the amazing aroma of colleagues' lunches, I finally decided that I wanted what they had and needed to learn how to make it. About a month ago, I went to a friend's house to learn how to make her lunch: Red Curry and Rice. It took me awhile to finally attempt it, but Sunday was the day. What I realized about myself as a cook, and maybe about life in general, is that I prefer exact measurements. Therefore, this food adventure was a fun leap out of my comfort zone as my friend's recipe had very little measurements! To start, I got all my ingredients:  chicken breasts (cut up) mixed veggies ...

It started with a tampon.

Belgrade Lakes, ME Or, maybe it was before that when I signed up for swim classes, which later led to the reason I even had to consider a tampon. Either way, something changed, and I had the best experience of stepping on the other side of fear and finding that it wasn't all that bad. It's actually thrilling. The swim classes that is. Not the tampon. The tampon was quite weird and rather anti-climatic - but convenient. And I didn't die from toxic shock which is great (that's for another post!). Swimming, though, has been incredible fun. Two classes down, six more to go and I have felt so light and free. As a child I loved going to pools and was completely comfortable with the fact that I couldn't swim in them. That never stopped me from doing all types of other things like jumping in, doing handstands, and doing what I could swimming underwater - all while staying in the shallow end. But somewhere along the way, that carefree part of me got dr...

What's up with Blacks & Black History Month?

[courtesy of google images] I attended a workshop back in the Fall where the presenters focused on vicarious traumatization experiences of African Americans via media protrayals. It was an interesting presentation, but what stuck with me most was  a tangential conversation that came up during the audience discussion. I forgot how it started, but there came a point when one of the presenters shared a story of how her son came to her with questions about why everyone at school was talking about Martin Luther King, Jr as if he is the only successful black person. The presenter concluded her disclosure saying that Black History Month just doesn't make sense in the context of today. The idea of talking about the first Black person to do this or do that limits the truth that many more than just one Black person has been successful. Therefore, she does not engage in Black History Month celebrations or acknowledgements. While I can agree with the notion that discussing the histo...