by Guest Blogger Stephen Santos
Admittedly, Ocean doesn’t bash any particular religion even though references are made to Islam, Christianity and Jim Jones People’s Temple. This post is not an attack on him at all. I have less of a problem with the song than I do with the connotation of its title and the philosophical difference I have with its lyrics. Ocean says, “ It’s a bad religion if it brings me to my knees.” For me, when I’m brought to my knees, it is in a state of complete humbleness, a submission, and a release. A release from the idea that I am perfect, that I need no help, that we as humans are in complete control of our destinies.
When I am on my knees I realize that my ego, social media, and celebrities should not be what I love, fear or worship. A religion that brings me to my knees is what I need. I need to be held accountable for my behaviors. I need the self to be torn down and my eyes flooded with tears in shame and guilt (as well has gratitude and joy). This process ultimately heals me. But I guess the more I listen to “bad religion” the more I realize how good my religion is for me. Not for all, not for Frank Ocean (which is fine), but for a human being who doesn’t mind being brought to his knees. So, I guess the old saying is true, the one that says something like: one man’s bad religion is another man’s treasure.
If I come out…against homosexuality in current popular
discourse today then I am homophobic. If you come out against organized
religion, the concept of one God or Judgment Day, then you are intellectual,
brave, or free. Write a song, then you are “the next big thing”, “a breath of
fresh air” or …Frank Ocean. Frank Ocean recently performed one of his singles
titled, Bad Religion, from his new album, Channel
Orange. In the performance, (posted below) Frank ocean says, “I know only
bad, bad religion could have me feeling the way I do” This way, in my interpretation, is referring to a sadness, guilt and the
hopelessness associated with loving a member of the same sex (in Ocean’s case,
a man, whom he recently acknowledged a relationship with when he was 19) while
religions (I am going to stick to the three Abrahamic faiths: Christianity,
Islam and Judaism) are all saying in different degrees that homosexual actions
are wrong, sinful, prohibited (whatever wording works for you) .
Admittedly, Ocean doesn’t bash any particular religion even though references are made to Islam, Christianity and Jim Jones People’s Temple. This post is not an attack on him at all. I have less of a problem with the song than I do with the connotation of its title and the philosophical difference I have with its lyrics. Ocean says, “ It’s a bad religion if it brings me to my knees.” For me, when I’m brought to my knees, it is in a state of complete humbleness, a submission, and a release. A release from the idea that I am perfect, that I need no help, that we as humans are in complete control of our destinies.
When I am on my knees I realize that my ego, social media, and celebrities should not be what I love, fear or worship. A religion that brings me to my knees is what I need. I need to be held accountable for my behaviors. I need the self to be torn down and my eyes flooded with tears in shame and guilt (as well has gratitude and joy). This process ultimately heals me. But I guess the more I listen to “bad religion” the more I realize how good my religion is for me. Not for all, not for Frank Ocean (which is fine), but for a human being who doesn’t mind being brought to his knees. So, I guess the old saying is true, the one that says something like: one man’s bad religion is another man’s treasure.
Hey Miss Fatimah! Its Tiffany from Chicago. Ok, so Yoda wanted me to post his blog on my twitter just to see what kind of feedback he would recieve on his piece above. Ok, here is one: "i'm not sure how i feel about this yet.. its a bit exaggerated. and theres a difference in faith & religion."-Anonymous. (Hope you see this, Yoda lol) I'd love to hear what both of you guys rebuttal. Take care!
ReplyDelete