Almost six years ago, I took a Writing Poetry seminar with the amazing Hugh Ogden. The one thing that sticks with me still is how he stressed the importance of details in a poem. It wasn't about throwing in a color or a person's name either. The details were to be my honest and raw experience that functioned in such a way that made the poem one only I could have written. Last night, I found myself giving my sister the same advice, but for a different context. As we prepped for her interview, I listened to her intended answers and noticed how attentive I was when she used details rather than when she remained vague and general. "I go above and beyond" doesn't have the same effect as "I go to pre-health fairs, science fairs, and volunteer in order to get extra resources for my clients". Upon hearing that, I immediately wanted to know more. Where were the fairs held? How helpful were the resources to the client? I was interested in what she had to say.
Long after my sister and I finished going through her "strenghths and weakness" and wrapped up our cram session, I continued to think about my attention to detail in my life. What can I make more interesting? Where is the vagueness in my life that craves some sweet specifics? My blog was a sure answer. I admit, I wouldn't call my blog dull or uninteresting (and neither should you!). I love my blog. But, a little more detail wouldn't hurt. In my first blog post, I introduced this blog as:
It worked at the time, but it really didn't capture my intentions. This blog is meant to be place where I discuss things that I'm excited about, address things that are of concern to me, and share information that I believe the world needs to know about. "Things" is probably the vaguest word in the English language so I'll correct that now. I'm excited about activism, good books, traveling, fashion, and future business ideas. I'm concerned about educational disparities, mental illness and its stigma, misperceptions of Islam, and students loans (it's real out here, ya'll!). Information I believe is worth sharing are good books, tips on how to stay healthy, and the wisdom of the people close to me. With that said, here are some extra things to expect moving forward: book reviews, critiques, personal reflections, and guest authors.
And, of course, a poem or two. ;)
Long after my sister and I finished going through her "strenghths and weakness" and wrapped up our cram session, I continued to think about my attention to detail in my life. What can I make more interesting? Where is the vagueness in my life that craves some sweet specifics? My blog was a sure answer. I admit, I wouldn't call my blog dull or uninteresting (and neither should you!). I love my blog. But, a little more detail wouldn't hurt. In my first blog post, I introduced this blog as:
My journey forward with this blog can be best described as snapshots of my life, and all the wonderful things that make it interesting, in 300 words or less. Or so I hope. And, of course, a poem or two.
And, of course, a poem or two. ;)
Comments
Post a Comment